Recipe of the Week
Savory Steamed Egg Custard Cup
INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
|shrimp in shells||4|
|skinned chicken thighs||3 oz|
|fresh shiitake mushrooms||4|
|mitsuba (trefoil)||¼ bunch|
|Seasonings for shrimp|
|sake||a small amount|
|salt||a small amount|
|dashi||1⅔ U.S. cups|
|light soy sauce||2 tsp|
- Trim heads off shrimp, shell and devein. Cut into pieces 1½ inch length and sprinkle with seasonings.
- Cut chicken into ¾ inch cubes, parboil the chicken briefly, cool in cold water, and drain.
- Remove stems of shiitake, and make cuts cross-diagonally on top. Cut mitsuba into 1⅓ inch length.
- To make custard, beat eggs lightly in abowl, combine remaining custard ingredients, add the mixture to the eggs, and strain through a sieve.
- Distribute shrimp, chicken and shiitake evenly into 4 serving cups, and fill with the custard.
- Transfer the cups to preheated steamer, and cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn down the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Bring cups out from steamer, and garnish with mitsuba.